Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 4 and 5

Day 4 - We started our day right off of the ferry, and up the hill. It was the longest day of climbing in my life. We rode for 68km and at least 30k mof that was uphill. Needless to say, now Phil understands why I said that the last time I had done it with Kat there had been some walking.
I won't go into the boring details of the fatigue, and handing food over to my friend Janice who was bonking. I think there were many people bonking. Unfortunately for me, I think now going on 3 days of pushing mud had it's toll on me and I strained my knee and couldn't put any pressure on it. It was sending searing pains through my leg when I did, so i ended up using my other leg for most of the pushing.

Once again the downhill sections were lots of fun. We got in in 6 hours 45 min. My friend Cindy had had a mechanical and wasn't in in time to make her massage apt, so I kindly took it for her. I think it helped my knee some. Then it was a  rush to get the bikes cleaned, feed ourselves, wash ourselves and get ourselves to bed, to do it again the next day.

Day 5. - more climbing. I'm really starting to feel tired now. It was a shorter day, only 4 hours. Lots of climbing again, but we were rewarded with a great downhill to the ferry and a sunny day.
Phil and i found a river to soak our legs in while waiting for the ferry, a great recovery formula. I have to add, the other great part of finishing the race, or even getting to a well earned aid station, is that they have froot loops!!

No comments: