Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 1 BCBR Cumberland

I was a bit cheeky at the start. Our plan was to not go hard. First day of 7 days of racing; best to pace ourselves, but when I saw the opening, I couldn't resist.

We were standing on the sidewalk at the start line, waiting to work our way back to our 'time category' start area. Group 1 left and there was nothing between us and the start. Nothing stopping us from jumping in behind the pack, so I turned to Phil and said "Let's go."

Silly idea, hanging on to the back of the first pack I was immediately in my lactate zone (with a high heart rate) and stayed there for most of the day.

It was a great day of riding. I love riding Cumberland, and even more so now that I know the trails and what to expect. There was an uphill climb - worth it for the downhill. I try to ride the DH clean (meaning making it down without crashing or having to get off my bike  - riding smart.) At one point riding down a rock face an impatient guy took the good line to the right, but I managed to hold on to the middle line. When I finished the DH section a guy riding two riders back said to the "You're a wicked rider." He made my day, my week, maybe my year.

When the motorcyclist later followed my through a flat bumpy section, and I rode a bit smarter and a bit faster to try to not hold him up, he told me I was an awesome rider. I as on such a high after that. What a great race that people can compliment others. I feel it's because they are surprised a girl can ride the sections that I do. I know so many female riders that are better than myself, and inspire me. I only hope that I can pass some of this on to others as well.

and now for tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to really hurt.

No comments: