Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Vermont

I have a new idea for our medical system…. We should have emergency outlets in the US for places that are heavily populated with Canadian visitors. I headed to Burke, Vermont on Sunday with a group of mtn bikers from the club at Bromont. It seems to be a popular weekend destination for Quebequois. It seemed the others on the trails were more likely to open their mouths and have French pop out than English. I can imagine that many of these people did not have insurance for the day. I know I didn’t. What would happen if someone in the group was to break a leg? It would have been a painful drive back across the border…. I wonder if they let you across the border if you are displaying signs of shock.

Anyhow, had a good day of biking. There were two options for the area. A big hill climb with 45 min of downhill or a flatter area with lots of twists, turns and roots. We took the later having a few young kids with us. It was raining when we first arrived so the roots were slippery. At one point I got mud in my eye then slipped on a root and landed on my derrier! I’m sure it wouldn’t have hurt as much if I hadn’t done hill reps the day before.

There was a trail called Widow’s peak. Annie in our group turned and asked me what the word in English would be for her husband if she wrote herself off on the trail. I told her I couldn’t think of an English word for male widow… is there? So therefore she needed to ride it well, and not slip down the off camber part full of clay.

Anyhow, it was a good day out and ended up being sunny at the end of the day, so a dip in the cold river was very rewarding for the bruised bottom.

No comments: